Friday, August 26, 2011

the great north...

It's been a while, but I have loads of time now, so I'll finish up the trip to Vancouver and post daily for VanCon...

One thing I forgot to mention last time was that Oklahoma was a big state and annoyed me to no end, but I had a lot of time to think and wasn't all that thrilled to be leaving Kansas. This passion for the state isn't what it once was, but the idea is still the same: To really do something with my life, I need to get outta Mass.

I don't know if it was the small town, the university or the college guys, but I found myself wondering what majors they offer at KU and if it would be worth it to move all the way to Kansas just because it's famous in my Supernatural circle.

The trip to Vancouver solidified the idea...only not so much Kansas anymore (that was short-lived) but maybe outside of LA... The Late Late Show inspired this one, but not like you'd think. It was the next night and Craig had an intern on the show because she opened the fanhatemail with a powdery white substance which he insists on still calling anthrax. Anyway, she goes to school in AZ for television and film studies...it got me thinking. Then on the Supernatural Location Tour today, Russ Hamilton told us about scouting locations and it seems kinda interesting...

Anyway, it's a half-formed thought because its too complicated to add detail to at this point, but I'll see where it goes.


FRIDAY, AUGUST 19


ARIZONA
I spent a little more time in AZ than I intended, but I spent the night only 3hrs from the Grand Canyon and on the way there I saw a sign for a meteor crater. I'm such a tourist...

The crater was amazing...the only adequate explanation of this wondrous sight is that of Dr. Grant on Jurassic Park when the sight of a dinosaur walking by was so overwhelming, he ripped off his sunglasses to enhance the effect.

The Grand Canyon was just as impressive.

CALIFORNIA
I had a reservation at La Crescenta Motel (first motel featured on Supernatural)  and apparently they closed at 10 every night. If I hadn't spent that extra hour or so at the Grand Canyon, it would've been easier to get there by 10, but I was already an hour behind since I found out too late. Anyway, they stayed open for me and the drive was awful:

I was questioned coming into California about agriculture (guess I was too close to the Mexican border), the it was another 4hrs to La Crescenta and the highways sucked, plus it was late and all I wanted was a bed for the night.

When I finally pulled in, I looked across the lot to room 10 and the space in front of it where Dean was arrested and knew the trip was worth it. <3

The room was what you'd expect on any given episode of Supernatural, including two beds, lol. Since I was staying three nights, they gave me a big room with a kitchen. The kitchen freaked me out and remained closed off. The second I turned the tv on it was That '70s Show on Nickalodeon and the channel never changed, lol.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 20
Misha's Birthday

...so I drove into LA and saw where he put that tree that time, location acquired in The Stealth Nugget.

LA is EXTREMELY busy and after finding the Bank of America, I kept going straight just to drive. The neighborhood looked a bit like that in Misha's other videos and I kept seeing signs for Griffith Park (Misha mentioned it in Boston) and I think I saw his car in a driveway (although, he may have been in Vancouver and I've just got an overactive imagination...)

Anyway, I turned around in the park and went back to the motel. I realized I only had a little less than a week to finish of the nips I'd packed with me and only a handful of those days would be acceptable to drink. So, I finished off a total of maybe 5 nips that night...

SUNDAY, AUGUST 21
I had a reservation for a Trolley Tour on Hollywood Blvd, but the area didn't seem all that safe and I'd have to park my car and walk the streets to s trolley. I came up to a garage and realized I'd left my wallet back at the room. I was too overwhelmed by my surroundings to think of the cash I had in my purse, but ...I was slightly hungover and had a really bad headache forming, so I went back to the room. I couldn't fall asleep, so I took Tylenol and read some fic.

Later that night, I got a call from home and The Late Late Show came up...I was going to a taping the next day and as mom was setting a recording, she found that Hugh Laurie was the guest of the night.

She said "House" so I was confused at first, but then her meaning hit me pretty hard. I would be in the same room as not only Craig Ferguson but Hugh freakin' Laurie! Two of my favorite dramas in one week; three of my favorite shows in all.

That night, I went to Santa Monica in hopes of catching the sunset off the coast. Traffic and my House freak-out made me late, not to mention the lack of parking, but I did walk to the Pier.

Then topped off the night with Mozzarella sticks with rum and coke.

MONDAY, AUGUST 22
Having left all my plans for the very last day in California, things went surprisingly smoothly. I got up about two hours earlier than I'd planned, but that definitely worked to my advantage. I had breakfast at IHOP (definitely becoming my favorite breakfast restaurant - LOVE the strawberry syrup; they don't even need butter!), then I stopped at CVS to stock up on a few Mountain Dews before hitting the road for Supernatural California Locations.

It was a complete success. =D

I circled the gas station a couple dozen times, then drove a few yards down the street and came upon the bridge. I first thought that the pilot must've been pretty cheap, but after the Location Tour today, I know that's not the case...

I then navigated myself to the Hollywood Sign, and from there I headed to Highland Theaters on Figueroa...where they were filming a movie. I got a pic of what I believe was the set, but there was a cop in front of the theater, so I didn't chance getting my camera taken away and just kept going.

My last stop was back at the motel. There was an old guy sitting in front of room 10 when I left that morning, so i circled back around and got the pics I wanted.

Back to Santa Monica for about a half hour. It cost $8 but in CA, it's worth it. I've been coast to coast. Only took 22yrs...

It couldn't have gone any better. I had to be at CBS Studios by 2:45 for a 3:30 entrance. I wanted to head back to the parking lot at 2:15 and leave by 2:15 . Instead, I reached the parking lot at 2:00 and left the area by 2:15 giving plenty of time for the 10min drive to 200 Fairfax Ave.

Then there was the traffic, and the parking. The ticket said there was free parking at CBS, but I culdn't find it or any other available lot. I was this close to leaving, but it's CRAIG FERGUSON and this isn't the first time he's grabbed my heart this year..maybe 3 times now, 5 since I found him one late, late night ;-)

So i ended up spending $20 to park for 4hrs right next to the studio. The ticket instructed not to bring anything with you, so I tucked my spare key into my bra and brought my ticket. Then they tell me I need my license, so I ran back to the car, grabbed my license, and thought about my card on the way back. There's no studio tour, so I didn't think there'd be a gift shop. I was wrong. (So instead of spending $25 on a t-shirt, I spent $32 online...oh well.)

The show was great, The Goo Goo Dolls performed for a future show and when those lights went down and the cameras started moving...I almost cried. It was absolutely perfect. I'd never been on the set of anything before; never in a live studio audience...something that would be on television. I was a show enhancer. I was there.

It was a once in lifetime things that someday may not be just once and so much better than an audience member...

Anyway, Craig was great and my weird attraction to him came back full-force...

The show went until about 6, and I then drove 6hrs straight to San Jose...after getting caught in LA traffic for a few hours. I managed to get to the Motel 6 by maybe 1:00am...and caught the end of the show when I turned on the tv.

TUESDAY, AUGUST 23
I wanted to make it to Washington by the end of the night, but that didn't happen. I went to the Winchester Mystery House, toured there for about 2hrs, then it took me 3hrs to figure out how to get to US 101. Again, I almost left, but I'd gotten everything else I wanted out of California, I had to see a Redwood.

So I drove through one and saw numerous others about 2hrs into 101. I didn't make it outta California, never mind into Washington. I did make it to Eureka and stopped just in time to not fall alseep on the road and, of course, catch The Late Late Show where, as I mentioned earlier, possibly discovered my future...

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 24
I HAD to be in Vancouver for my reservation. It would've been great to have a little less than 11hrs to get there, but there was no way I could've gone any further the night before. So I had breakfast at Denny's because it was closer than the 62mi backward to IHOP...and the hills and valleys of 101 really got on my nerves. It was nice to see more Redwoods, though.

It took FOREVER. I stopped a few times along the way for Mountain Dew to stay awake and Burger King so I could keep going. Called home a lot because I was that bored and just wanted to be here already!

I finally reached the border around 11 and leaving the country is not easily accomplished by someone with my levels of anxiety...

So, they interrogated me and searched my car...generally freaking me out even more than waiting in a line of cars had already accomplished. It was about 2:30am back home, but mom wanted me to call and I couldn't have resisted the need to talk to somebody after that ordeal.

Apparently border patrol doesn't understand the passion of a Supernatural fan. "Why come all this way for a Supernatural convention?" People who know me know not to even bother asking...lol.

My GPS converted mi to km but showed the speed in mi form...until I got to the back roads. I really needed to get off the road when I couldn't even understand the speed limits. Anxiety just kept rising, all the one way street and ABSOLUTELY NO PARKING ANYWHERE! I circled the hotel a few times, but I needed to check in this day and every circle I made brought the day that much closer to an end.

So I just pulled up outside the hotel, checked in and asked about parking.

APrking was horrendous. There's a North and South Tower to the Sheraton and not much parking in the underground garage for the South Tower which is of course where I'm staying. Plus I kinda forgot which tower I was in a few times...

After finally binging everything up to my room, I spent maybe and hour and a half driving arounf the parking garage looking for a place closer, but there was none. Walking is probly the best way to get around Vancouver anyway and I don't plan to go anywhere other than a bus that picks me up right outside the hotel. No need to deal with the car until I leave...which will cost about $205 for it's stay. ($41/night - next time, I'm boarding a plane and haling a cab.)

Due to exhaustion and this unbelievably comfortable bed, it didn't take long to fall asleep. And under any other circumstances, I'd never leave...


More tomorrow, Craig Ferguson's almost on and I'll most likely fall asleep during Letterman anyway...

0 comments:

Post a Comment