Saturday, August 20, 2011

westbound...part 1

I've been meaning to blog, really! But it's just soo exhausting and I just haven't had the time. So, here in California, I've sat down and written a few things. It's not much, but it's something. Its only 9pm here, but that's midnight back east and i can't sit like this anymore. This room lacks character as much as table and chairs...and the kitchen freaks me out. Anyway, here's what happened 'til Texas:



MONDAY, AUGUST 15
Massachusetts
It’s been about a week, so I’m running on  a memory that isn’t what it used to be. Ever since I turned 21, things have gotten a bit fuzzy. Wonder if there’s a connection, lol.

Anyway, I set my alarm for 8am, but I got up at 6 and of course couldn’t get back to sleep. Instead, I decided to head up stairs and hang with my mom for a while. I couldn’t even think of packing; I was in a really weird place. Almost being fired and quitting The Faire really got to me, then my entire family worrying about me going out alone made me nervous and the weather was awful…everything only added up to me being miserable on what should’ve been a really great day.

Ever since I fell asleep at the wheel on my way to South Carolina due to the constant pouring rain and being splashed by cars in front of me, I’ve been terrified to drive in the rain. Back roads I can deal with, but the highway…and it was like that for about 6hrs.

New York
I finally managed to outrun the rain in New York. Thought about going to Niagara Falls, but it was 10mi out of my way and I was really tired of driving.

Pennsylvania
I don’ know why…

Ohio
I stopped around midnight I think…somewhere around there. EconoLodge is the cheapest motel chain I’ve found and I’m not really fit to live like my boys…

I meant to blog about my day and upload pictures but I just couldn’t stay awake long enough.

TUESDAY, AUGUST 16

The room was nice enough and I slept pretty well. Really didn’t wanna leave in the morning, but I had hundreds of miles to cover before Kansas.

Indiana

Ohio is too big. And I didn’t set aside enough time for proper meals. So instead, I stopped at a Dairy Queen (the signs are endless, it’s most advertised establishment in the US) and won a Gold ticket. That’s right, I’m getting the full experience of VanCon! =)

If DQ is the top franchise in middle America, Antiquers keep the business afloat.

Illinois
Crossed into Illinois and gained an hour. =) I forgot to include Pontiac in that MA Wal*Mart parking lot where I set my GPS for Kansas. I’d wanted to go through the town Cas’ vessel is from and where he and Dean met for the first time. Maybe on the way back…but at this point, the quickest way is the only way.

I’d heard somewhere that they wanted Supernatural to look very middle America and bravo! Sam and Dean could’ve driven down any one of the little roads along the highway, or those I could see form a great, great distance lined with old style telephone poles; I honestly expected to see the Impala at any given moment.

It really hit home when I had to stop for gas and right off the highway was one such road with a fill up joint straight out of Supernatural. Each type of gas had its own nozzle and cards were only accepted inside and not at the pump. I honestly felt like I was on the set of Supernatural and Dean would come out any second.

It gets lonely on the road, my imagination kinda got away from me on occasion.

Missouri
There were three signs for this state and I missed them all because I was on the phone with my dad.

Priorities.

I did manage a pic of the Missouri River…and a sign for Kansas City. Couldn’t get The End outta my head…hoped I wouldn’t be greeted by zombies upon entering the town or travel 5yrs into the future. (I barely wanna travel 1hr into the future; its exhausting!)

Of course the exit into Kansas was outta commission. It was also pretty late and the road was really busy, so I saw the sign, but didn’t get a pic. It was on a turn. Who does that!?

KANSAS
I was determined to get a pic of a sign for Lawrence, then watched in awe as a huge, lit up sign went by. Then trying to exit off was ridiculous. Who puts the sign in the middle of the road when the exit is on the right? I mean, come on!

The Super 8 actually reminded me of the one in South Carolina. Although this time it was on an extremely steep hill and my GPS told me to turn right so I did…into the employee lot. It was around 9pm and I was tired and hungry and all I wanted was food and a bed.

I checked in, put my stuff in the room, took pics and found a Domino’s two seconds from the hotel. About 10mins later, I was back in my room with my favorite dinner: pizza with rum and coke. I settled into my insanely comfortable bed with said heavenly dinner and watched Billy the Exterminator on a plasma tv attached to the wall opposite the bed.

Something changed that night. I’d been battling depression from the day before and all the long, endless highway travel was wearing on me, but once I got to Lawrence, Sam and Dean’s fictional hometown as well as that of show creator Eric Kripke, it began to feel like I was a part of something bigger…

Gotta say, Supernatural set or not, Lawrence was my favorite hotel. That will undoubtedly change after the Sheraton at VanCon, but for now…Kansas = <3

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 17

It was excruciatingly hot in the morning. My internal clock was a mess, but I needed to hit the road…eventually. First order of business was to find a Wal*Mart for some souvenirs. I’ve seen Mass merch in Plymouth and figured it’d be a good place to start.

It wasn’t too far and I passed the University of Kansas - a favorite for college!fic (my fave Dean/Cas AU). I never knew it was IN Lawrence…that makes the fic that much better. Seriously, this show pulls at my heartstring and fic just tightens ’em harder.

Anyway, the Wal*Mart wasn’t too far from the college and there was an enormous array of Jayhawks and KU merch at the front of the store. I came in on the wrong side and only found a rack with a few shirts until I turned a corner and was stopped in my tracks by the most beautiful sweatshirt I’d ever seen. I now own that, two shirts, a Jayhawks shot glass and a bracelet.

In between jobs, Sam and Dean would sometimes get a day -- Sometimes a week, if they were lucky. They'd pass the time lining their pockets. Sam used to insist on honest work, But now he hustles pool, like his brother. They could go anywhere and do anything. They drove 1,000 miles for an Ozzy show, Two days for a jayhawks game. And when it was clear, They park her in the middle of nowhere, Sit on the hood, and watch the stars... For hours...Without saying a word. It never occurred to them that, sure, Maybe they never really had a roof and four walls, But they were never, in fact, homeless.

Having recently watched this episode, the line about the Jayhawks really hit me every time I saw the merch…teared up a few times, but that’s just what this show does to me.

I <3 Kansas!

I filled up on gas and had pancakes at IHOP. First time there and first time eating alone. It wasn’t so bad. My waitress was really nice. So was everyone I’d met actually…and the boys I happened to notice coming into Wal*Mart. It’s either a Kansas thing or that KU is right there, but DAMN!

While routing my GPS, I looked over the Google map directions and realized I’d completely forgotten about Stull Cemetery. So, I rerouted my GPS and was on my way.

In no hurry to leave Lawrence, I tried getting a good picture of a road sign, but not so much. The road was looooongg. And hilly. The cemetery was on a hill as I was going over it at about 60mph. All I could do was watch it go by. I turned around down the road a ways and took pics on the drive by. Then turned around again and went by a little slower, stopping at the bottom of the hill for a good one of the building across from it. I turned around yet again and would’ve stopped directly across from it, but there’s a house there and it would’ve been awkward. I’m sure they’re used to it every now and again, but still…I did slow down and take a few more.

Then there was nothing left to do but hit the road to New Mexico. At least, that was the idea…


Oklahoma
I took the Kansas Turnpike into Oklahoma. It was hot.

OH! My fly story:

I picked up a fly in Ohio, thought I lost him at a rest stop, but then he turned up again in Kansas…with friends. They disappeared for a while, but would buzz in front of my face or just behind me and freak me out occasionally. In Oklahoma, I’d had enough. One after another, for the next 1000miles, I booted them out with a plastic bag as soon as they were close enough to a window. It became a game for me and was entertaining enough to make it through the vast open space that is Oklahoma.

Thought about Chandler and Tulsa a little, sang the song to myself…it gets boring between fly sightings.


TEXAS
I thought I’d be going from Oklahoma straight into New Mexico. I could barely make out the sign, but there was no doubt: I’d entered Texas. <3

Jared and Jensen’s home state, somewhere I’d always wanted to visit. Sure, I was a couple hundred miles from Dallas, but still; TEXAS! I wasn’t sure how long I’d be there (didn’t figure out how to look on my GPS ’til NM), so I stopped at the first EconoLodge I found. Before getting off the highway, I did notice how clear the sky was…honestly it was one of my favorite moments on the road. In my boys’ home state with a wide open night sky above me…

I got the last room available, way in the back by a dirt road and a dumpster that smelled like skunk. Didn’t help that there was a noise and a cat jumped out. Once I got everything in the room, I was in for the night; all ideas of finding that McDonald’s down the street were scared outta me. Huh, Dean and the cat…only I didn’t scream ;-)


Traffic in LA is awful, so I'm only leaving the motel when I absolutely have to...Trolley Tour tomorrow, then I'll upload pics and continue the blog.

-ky

0 comments:

Post a Comment